Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, each year updates its Map the Meal Gap study, which offers a detailed look at the food budget required to meet the needs of families struggling with hunger. Click here to view an interactive map of its latest data for the State of Connecticut.
According to the study, more than 10 percent of our neighbors are food insecure.
Data in the study includes:
- The percentage of the overall population that is food insecure.
- Child food insecurity data by state and county.
- The percentage of the food insecure population who qualify based on income for SNAP (Food Stamps) and other federal nutrition programs.
- The percentage of the food insecure population who do NOT qualify for federal nutrition programs and often must rely on charitable food assistance programs and who also need better wages and employment opportunities to help them meet their basic needs.
- The average price per meal based on new research by The Nielsen Company.